Our network

Crime

Modesto High School air conditioners ripped off

MODESTO, CA - Classrooms at Modesto High School aren't as cool as they could be these days after 11 air conditioning units were recently stolen off the roof of the school.

Principal Jason Manning said the units were stolen on two nights, late at night, by thieves who made it to the top of the building.

"We found a few spots on campus where they've climbed up trees and up on the roof.  I'm told by maintenance workers, it takes 20 to 30 minutes to unhook a unit and throw it over the edge," said Manning.

Manning said the value of the metal taken, on the streets, is $30 to $40 per unit.

"It's pretty frustrating, with the lack of dollars for education, to be spending this on air conditioning units," said Manning.

by tdaly@news10.net

Copper thieves cost Modesto High $70k

MODESTO, CA - At a time in which California schools are desperate for funds, copper thieves are making times that much tougher for schools in Modesto.

Modesto High school was vandalized twice in April, with copper thieves targeting the main building's 11 rooftop air-conditioning units and causing approximately $70 thousand in damage.

Modesto City Schools director of maintenance and construction John Liukkonen told the Modesto Bee the stripped A/C units were discovered during the last two weeks in April.

"Like most in our area, we have seen an increase in copper, brass and aluminum theft," Liukkonen told the Bee.

Modesto police: Shooting was drug deal gone bad

MODESTO, CA (AP) - Investigators believe a shooting Tuesday afternoon in a Modesto neighborhood that resulted in the death of two men and sent two others to the hospital was the result of a drug deal that went bad.

Modesto police Sgt. Rick Armendariz says when officers were called to a south Modesto home around 12:45 p.m. Tuesday they found two men outside the home suffering from gunshot wounds and a third man dead inside the home.

RELATED STORY: 1 dead, 2 wounded in south Modesto shooting

Armendariz told the Modesto Bee that the shooting started as three men at the home were meeting with two other men, 31-year-old Armando Rubio and 35-year-old Victor Efren Navar, both of Modesto, about a deal involving about 40 pounds of marijuana.

1 dead, 2 wounded in south Modesto shooting

MODESTO, CA - A shooting at a south Modesto home Tuesday afternoon left one person dead and two critically wounded, police say.

At 12:47 p.m., the police department received calls regarding gunshots at 1500 Dezzani Lane.

When first responders arrived, they found one person dead inside the home and two men in front of the residence who had been shot, said police Sgt. Rick Armendariz. The injured were transported to an area hospital.

Police believe an assault rifle and a handgun were used in the shooting.

Officers are looking for the shooters, described as two, possibly Hispanic males who drove off in a black, Mercedes-type coupe, Armendariz said.

Police: Modesto homeowner thwarts intruders, shoots 1

MODESTO, CA - Two individuals are reconsidering their choice of homes to invade on Tuesday morning after a prepared homeowner thwarted their plans and put one of them in hospital.

According to Sgt. Rick Armendariz of the Modesto Police Department, the intruders entered the home on Houser Lane around 6 a.m. armed and wearing ski masks.

The homeowner quickly retrieved his gun and shot one of the intruders, Armendariz said.

Police were called and arrested the wounded man. He was then transported to a nearby hospital where his condition was listed as critical, according to Armendariz.

Modesto police were searching for the second intruder who escaped before officers arrived. 

Molotov cocktails thrown at house Friday night

CERES, CA - The Ceres Fire Department and Stanislaus County Police are investigating a house fire started by molotov cocktails.

The incident occurred Friday night at the 1300 block of Holm Avenue.

Three out of four molotov cocktails, which were thrown at the house, ignited - causing the damage.

The front door and a fence had to be replaced.

The county investigator is trying to determine why the house was targeted. No suspects are being named at the time of this post.

Man attacked in Modesto home invasion

MODESTO, CA - A man who went outside his Modesto home to see why his dogs were barking was jumped and robbed by two men with guns just after midnight, according to the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department.

The incident took place on the 1700 block of South Carpenter Road.

Sheriff's Sgt. Anthony Bejaran said when the victim's wife came outside to help her husband, the armed men forced the couple inside. The husband was attacked and threatened if he did not give the robbers money. The men left with money.

The victims described the men as white and both 6 feet tall. They reported one was skinny and other weighed around 250 pounds.