Our network

News

Martin Martinez court date moved to next week


MODESTO, CA -- The man suspected of killing five in a Modesto home earlier this month was in court today for a pretrial hearing for separate homicide charges related to the death of a toddler in the fall.

Martin Martinez is charged with the death of 2-year-old Christopher Ripley, who suffered serious head injuries last September and died two days later. The boy was the son of Dr. Amanda Crews -- who was in a relationship with Martinez at the time -- and her former husband. Crews left the boy in the care of Martinez. It took a forensic specialist a period of time to determine the boy was a victim of homicide, and not an accident.

Earlier in July, Martinez was taken into custody as a suspect in the deaths of his own mother, Crews, two of her children and another child.

At the time of his arrest, he pleaded not guilty to the charges he killed Christopher Ripley.

Modesto home invasion robbery puts 94-year-old man in coma


A Modesto man was taken to the hospital and placed into a coma for treatment after he was brutally beat during a home invasion robbery, the Modesto Police Department said.

The department's spokesperson, Heather Graves, said that the robbery happened around 10:30 p.m. Friday near the 1400 block of Gary Lane.

After robbers invaded the house of a 94-year-old man and his 85-year-old wife, the victim's wife found her husband outside with injuries to his head and face, Graves said.

The victim was taken to the hospital and placed into a coma as part of treatment for the broken bones in his face. The only description of the suspects was that one of the robbers was a woman who wore a ski mask, Graves said.

The investigation is ongoing and Modesto police hope to have an update on the condition of the victim later Monday.


Man accused in Modesto murders faces charges in another killing


MODESTO, CA - The man accused in last weekend's five murders in northeast Modesto, was arraigned Thursday for a different killing.

Martin Martinez was charged earlier this week with the death of 2-year-old Christopher Ripley, who suffered serious head injuries last September. He died two days later. The boy was the son of Dr. Amanda Crews, who was in a relationship with Martinez, and her former husband. Crews left the boy in the care of Martinez. It took a forensic specialist a period of time to determine the boy was a victim of homicide, and not an accident.

Martinez was taken into custody Saturday evening as a suspect in the deaths of Crews, two of her children, Martinez's mother, and another child.

Martin Martinez moved to Modesto jail, pleads not guilty


The man suspected of killing two adults and three children in a Modesto home pleaded not guilty to charges he allegedly killed a toddler last year.

Modesto murders: Police release details of brutal family killings


A man under arrest in connection with the gruesome deaths of five people in Modesto, including a 6-month-old baby, is also suspected for another child's death last fall.

Dr. Amanda Crews, age 38, 57-year-old Anna Brown Romero and three young girls ages 6 months, 5 years and 6 years, were found dead Saturday inside a Modesto home. Officers discovered them after being asked to do a welfare check when Crews missed a lunch date.

Modesto police: Suspect in 5 homicides also suspect in toddler's death


MODESTO (AP) - Modesto police said a suspect in five homicides this weekend is also suspected of killing a toddler left in his care last year.

Modesto Police Chief Galen Carroll said a pathologist concluded on Thursday that 2-year-old Christopher Ripley died of head injuries on Oct. 2, 2014.

A warrant was issued for Martin "Marty" Martinez Saturday evening.

Earlier on Saturday, two women and three young girls were found slain in a Modesto home. The victims included 38-year-old Amanda Crews and the six-month old daughter she had with Martinez. Martinez is also a suspect in these deaths.

Modesto murders of 5: Suspect in custody, details emerge about victims


ID=30401703

A suspect is in custody for the murders of two adults and three children who were found Saturday in a Modesto home.

Martin Martinez, 30 of Modesto, was taken into custody early Sunday in San Jose, San Jose police said. Modesto police said he has been booked into the Santa Clara County Jail on suspicion of murder.

The victims were found inside a home just north of Floyd Avenue in Modesto around 3:30 p.m. Saturday, according to Heather Graves with the Modesto Police Department.